Developing management teams is a top priority for most organizations. There is no such thing as the perfect team, but there are always improvements that can be made. Identifying gaps in leadership can be tricky when things are going smoothly, but they often become clear when mistakes get made, or a project gets derailed. However, no leader wants to wait until after problems arise to find out their management team needs to sharpen their leadership skills.
Here are five ways to start identifying gaps in leadership in any organization:
- Look for Silos – If your leadership team seems disconnected or unable to collaborate effectively, you might have a leadership gap. Team silos can seriously derail communication and stall progress on group projects. This is an increasing issue due to the shift to remote work, where it can be more challenging to build a cohesive team.
- Look for Focus on Employee Needs – The recent changes of the last two years have changed how work gets done, where work gets done, and how we interact with our teams. Are your managers in touch with what employees need to be successful? Attracting and retaining the right team is vital to the success of any organization and should be a top priority.
- Conduct Post-Mortems – It is also important to do post-project analyses of what went well, what went wrong, and what can be done better in the future. This type of analysis will shed light on leadership behavior gaps that need to be addressed.
- Listen to Customer Feedback – Does your management team create and sustain positive relationships with clients? It is tempting to solve the immediate issue and move on when receiving negative feedback from customers. However, it is important to look at trends in customer issues and find out where service gaps occur, and these trends may reveal a larger gap in leadership skills that must be addressed.
- Take a Leadership Health Assessment – A great way to identify leadership gaps is to take a leadership health assessment to determine the strengths and weaknesses of your organization. Crestcom can help your organization identify development needs for your team and recommend the best course of action to address them.
In a rapidly changing business environment, every organization needs its leadership teams to be stronger than ever. Being proactive in identifying gaps in leadership is the best way to prevent bigger issues in the future. Reach out to Crestcom today and find out how we can help your managers develop the skills they need to lead effective, productive teams!